Sunday 14 December 2008

Love came down at Christmas

I've long been a fan of Christina Rossetti's religious poetry. Goblin Market is a brilliant allegory, which captivated me as a child long before I realised the significance of its imagery (!)
In the Bleak Midwinter has been my favourite Christmas carol for many years.
This morning, in church, we were introduced to a modern version of her other Christmas classic, Love Came Down at Christmas, by Jars of Clay. Here it is for your enjoyment...
And whoever said it had to be a donkey???

2 comments:

simon said...

In the Bleak Mid-winter - the full five verse version - is also my favourite Christmas carol by a country mile.

That's a great Jars of clay version of Love Came down at Christmas.

jim Gordon said...

Hello Simon.
Christian Forshaw's CD "Midwinter" has one of the most hauntingly beautiful renderings of In the Bleak Midwinter I've ever heard. Rossetti proves for me beyond doubt that the best hymns double as effective poems. Add to that, music in perfect sympathy with the emotional and theological climate of the hymn and you have the fusion of poetry, music and devotion.
Yuletide felicitations!